Can Battery Fairy Lights Catch Fire?

If you’re like most homeowners, you probably have a set of battery-powered fairy lights somewhere in your house. While they are a great way to add some extra holiday cheer, you may be wondering if they are safe.

So can battery fairy lights catch fire? The answer is yes, they can. In most cases, fairy lights are safe and should not catch fire. However, if the lights are faulty, if they overheat or get too close to an open flame then it is possible that they can catch fire.

There are several things you can do to help prevent this from happening. Keep reading for tips on how to keep your fairy lights safe at all times.

Some key safety tips will help you protect yourself from common hazards around the home.

  • Use battery operated fairy lights safely by checking the wire insulation for cracks and wear each time before you put them up.
  • If you notice any tears in wiring replace all damaged sets of lights right away.
  • Never leave lit candles on and make sure your fairy lights are not plugged into a light socket when you are not home.
  • Never place anything combustible including wrapping paper, clothes, towels or curtains on or around your fairy lights.
  • Be certain that you keep your fairy lights away from heaters, fireplaces and candles.
  • If the fairy lights get slightly warm to the touch during use carefully unplug them and place them somewhere that they will not come into contact with anything flammable such as carpet or paper.
See also  Fire Sense Patio Heater Reviews

Fairy lights do look very pretty however if you plan on using battery-operated fairy lights and keep them at least one metre away from any heat sources such as fireplaces and radiators.

Can Battery Fairy Lights Catch Fire?

If you do plan on using your fairy lights outdoors, then try plugging it into an electrical socket with a trip switch which is designed for outdoor lighting.

This will help prevent the fairy lights from coming on during a power outage and potentially causing damage due to overheating of the wires.

Do LED fairy lights get hot?

LED fairy lights are a popular choice for use around the home. They are energy-efficient and come in a variety of colours.

So do LED fairy lights get hot? Contrary to what many people believe, LED fairy lights do not get very hot at all. In fact, they are actually much cooler than traditional fairy lights.

Last update on 2023-11-11  / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API

So if you’re looking for a light option that won’t heat up your home, LED fairy lights are definitely the way to go.

LED Christmas lights are safe to use around Christmas trees, wreaths, and garlands as they are non-intrusive. They are also safe to use around pets and children as LED lights do not get hot enough to cause harm.

See also  Best Tankless Water Heater

Can mini lights start a fire?

Mini light strings can catch fire if the wiring is faulty or exposed, but since they are generally indoors this isn’t a major concern.

If you have faulty lights left on too long or if they overheat, the electrical wires may get hot enough to catch fire. If this happens, it could spread very quickly and cause serious damage to your home in no time at all.

The most common type of Christmas lights that cause fires are C7s and C9s.

These types of string lights have wires that become exposed from wear and tear, allowing the electrical current to touch the insulation material which is flammable and ignites the fire.

Most mini lights use LED technology or incandescent bulbs so they do run cooler than other types of string lighting options such as C7s and C9s.

How many house fires are caused by Christmas lights?

Statistics in the UK (1) show that an average of 260 home fires are started by Christmas lights each year. The US has an average of 790 house fires started by Christmas lights per year (2). This is not to say that these fires were caused by mini light strings, but it does highlight how fires can start around the home if you don’t use your fairy lights safely.

Many of these fires are caused by faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, and misuse of candles. By following a few simple safety tips, you can help keep your family safe when using your fairy lights.

See also  Best Electric Heater for your Greenhouse?

Most of the house fires were attributed to the following reason,

  • Decorative lights were responsible for nearly one-fifth of all Christmas tree fires.
  • In nearly 20% of Christmas tree fires, a source of heat, such as a candle or equipment, was too near to the tree.
  • Five percent of Christmas tree blazes were deliberate. January was a more common time for these incidents.
  • Living room fires account for around two of every five home Christmas tree blazes.

The key thing when using fairy lights or mini lights around your home is to make sure they are not placed excessively close to anything that could ignite the wiring. This includes paper, curtains or furniture.

Final Lights

Fairy lights can cause fires if you don’t treat them with respect and ensure that there is nothing flammable near to them at all times.

If you’re thinking of using fairy lights this year, then why not try LED fairy lights as these will help keep your home safe from fire by running cooler than other types of lighting options.